If you have a directory of files (such as images used on your website), you have the ability to control what happens when someone tries to access that directory without knowing the name of the files. By default, it will list all of the files in the directory; however this is sometimes not desired.
For example, if your primary domain name is
example.com, and if you have images located in the
public_html/images directory, you can determine what happens when people visit
http://example.com/images without an image or file specified in the URL.
Configuring Your Index Pages
- Log into cPanel.
- Look for the Advanced section, and click on the Index Manager icon.
- If it asks, select the domain or folder you want to start from and click Go.
- Click on the directory you wish to configure.
- Choose which option you want:
- Default System Setting
- No Indexing
- Standard Indexing (filename only)
- Fancy Indexing (filename and description)
- Click on the Save button.
Note: Some themes give slightly different options.